Not much more I can say. Read the reviews here and elsewhere. Housecall comes up on top for home inspectors in San Diego. I work as a local Realtor and I use this company for all of my home inspections. They explain things clearly and my buyers appreciate that.        -  JP, San Diego

Blog Home Maintenance Twenty Household Items That Could Kill You
Twenty Household Items That Could Kill You
Home Maintenance
Share |
Thoughts of home are often associated with thoughts of relaxing and feeling safe and secure. Unfortunately, there are certain items in the home that can be quite hazardous. The average home is indeed filled with products that can be extremely dangerous. Many of these may be in your basement, closets, or under your sink. The following twenty household items actually have the power to kill you.
Moth Balls: Paradichlorobenzene, the active ingredient in moth balls produced cancer in rats during laboratory testing. This ingredient can do harm to you as well. Some moth balls also contain naphthalene. Naphthalene can cause diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. The Environmental Protection Agency now requires that warnings about these risks be placed on each box.
 
Pesticides: Pesticides are designed to kill a number of pests ranging from insects to rodents. The chemicals used in these products are toxic, meaning that humans and household pets should not be exposed to them at length. In 2006 it was reported that 46,000 children were treated for exposure to high levels of pesticide.
 
Lead Paint: Though lead paint is no longer marketed, it may still be present in homes. Labeled as extremely hazardous to children back in 1991, many homeowners simply do not know that lead is in their home. The nervous system, brain function, kidney function, and blood cells can all be affected by exposure.
 
Mold and Mildew Removers: These products are used in bathrooms throughout the country. Many contain sodium hypochlorite, which can burn the skin, burn the eyes, or cause serious rashes. They may also cause fluid to build up in the lungs, which can lead to coma or death.
 
Air Fresheners: When used in unventilated areas, air fresheners can cause several health problems. Phenol, an ingredient commonly used in air freshening products, can shut down the circulatory system, cause convulsions, and may also cause coma and death. Ammonia and bleach may also be in these products, and each of these can be hazardous as well.
 
Toilet Bowl Cleaners: These products contain hydrochloric acid. Though this acid works well in cleaning toilets, it is highly corrosive and can damage the kidneys and the liver. When mixed with other chemicals it may create fumes that once inhaled can cause fatalities.
 
Indoor Carpeting: VOCs, volatile organic compounds, have been discovered in some types of indoor carpeting. These may be released during the installation process and can be hazardous when exposure levels are high. Formaldehyde has been discovered in some new carpet types. Formaldehyde may cause a host of problems including nausea, headaches, difficulty breathing, nose bleeds, and memory loss.
 
Baby Bottles: Plastic baby bottles that contain BPA (bisphenol-a) can present hazards when they are heated. BPA is a chemical that resembled hormones and cause developmental problems as well as neurological problems. Unborn fetuses are not immune, therefore pregnant women are advised not to use plastic products containing BPA.
 
Bleach: A corrosive product that many use for cleaning surfaces and laundry. When inhaled, bleach can severely burn the eyes and impact the respiratory tract. If swallowed, bleach can cause vomiting, coma, and death.
 
Flame Retardants: PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers) is found in many flame retardant products. This ingredient has been linked with learning disabilities and problems with memory. Though the jury is still out, many speculate that this products may also be carcinogenic.
 
Cosmetic Phthalates: Phthalates can be found in many different types of products. Shampoo, hair spray, and deodorant, just to name a few. High levels of exposure may cause health problems ranging from mild to extremely serious.
 
Furniture Polish: The products contain Petroleum Distillates. Furniture polish is extremely flammable and can start a fire or help one spread quickly. Both lung and skin cancer can be caused by furniture polish.
 
Laser Printer Chemicals: Several studies have concluded that both laser and ink-jet printers may release VOCs (volatile organic compounds). In high concentrations, VOCs are toxic. Prolonged exposure can cause lung or heart disease. 
 
Oven Cleaners: Lye, or sodium hydroxide, is found in many oven cleaning products. This irritant can burn both the skin and eyes. If oven cleaner is ingested it can shut down the reflexes of the body and severely damage tissues.
 
Laundry Products: Highly corrosive chemicals such as calcium hypocrite and sodium can be found in many laundry products. These can burn the respiratory tract when inhaled, and may also burn the skin and eyes. Alkylphenol ethoxylates, which may also be in laundry products can cause damage to the immune system and may disrupt hormones.
 
Car Wash and Polish: Petroleum distillates are included in many of these products and this ingredient can burn the eyes, lungs, skin, and inside of the nose. Cancers of the skin and lungs, as well as fatal pulmonary edema can occur when petroleum distillates are allowed to enter the lungs.
 
Pressed Wood: Products that are made of pressed wood may contain urea-formaldehyde in the glue that was used to hold the product together. This glue was most popular during the 1970's, but many of the products that contain it are still in use today. After it was proven that urea-formaldehyde caused cancer in animals during laboratory testing, the EPA urged consumers to exercise caution.
 
Carpet and Upholstery Shampoo: Toxic chemicals are often included in carpet and upholstery shampoos. One of these is perchlorethylene, a carcinogen that may damage the kidneys and liver. Ammonium hydroxide is another common ingredient in these products. This chemical is an irritant that can affect the eyes, skin, and lungs.
 
Fertilizer and Weed Killer: Most of these products may be fatal when swallowed due to the fact that they contain hazardous chemicals. Most brand contain glyphosate. This ingredient may burn the eyes and skin, cause nausea, dizziness, and diarrhea. Coma may be the result should it be ingested.
 
Medicines: Both prescription and OTC medications can cause illness and death. This is especially true in the case of children, who may ingest entire bottles of medication. When small children are present, medicine cabinets should be locked to prevent them from gaining access to the contents.

Areas Served: We serve the areas listed above as well as many others. If you do not see your city, please contact us. We will be proud to serve your city.
Darin Redding
Written on Monday, 15 October 2012 00:00 by Darin Redding

Viewed 3944 times so far.
Like this? Tweet it to your followers!

Latest articles from Darin Redding

 
 
 
blog comments powered by Disqus

Last Updated on Sunday, 11 August 2013 13:42
 

Housecall Property Inspections

Housecall Property Inspections
6826 Millbrook St.
San Diego, CA 92120
619-663-8740