I am so glad I decided on this company.  The home inspector knew his stuff, and he explained the inspection report in a way that was clear.  I was able to negotiate my purchase and saved a lot of money.  Thanks for everything.        -  Karla P., San Diego

Blog Q & A Q & A: Sealing up mold in a wall - Bad Idea?
Q & A: Sealing up mold in a wall - Bad Idea?
Q & A
Share |
DEAR HOUSECALL: I just moved into a rental home a month ago and we started to notice a leak coming from the shower. Apparently some of the caulking had separated from the shower walls and water leaked down through the floorboards/wall to the garage below. There is mold in the cracks and under a ledge (which is where I think most of the damage/leaking is coming from). There is obvious water damage on the ceiling of the garage and I have a feeling that someone has tried fixing this problem before because there is an area that looks like it has been cut out before. If we clean out the cracks in the shower and re-caulk it, will mold continue to grow behind the walls?    - Don in Poway
 
DEAR DON: Mold will not die in a dry environment but it could become dormant. Mold spores, on the other hand, can survive in very hot, dry areas and will simply wait for the opportune conditions to exist and then will take hold and begin to grow once again. It is important to understand that mold is everywhere, my house, your house, the White House...everywhere! The species of mold and their concentrations are important factors to consider however.
 
Having mold in your apartment or house is your landlords issue. Ask him/her to take care of it. Take pictures with a date stamp. Hire a certified mold inspector to do mold testing. Most importantly, if you are experiencing symptoms that you think are related to mold exposure and your landlord is not willing to address his obligations, you might think about living elsewhere.
 
Exposure to indoor molds can cause nuisance symptoms similar to those of the common cold. Symptoms of mold exposure may include nasal congestion and stuffiness, itchy, watery eyes, headaches, chest congestion, wheezing, or skin irritation at the site of exposure. People who are allergic to molds may experience more severe symptoms. Severe reactions may also occur among workers exposed to molds in occupational settings, such as farm workers working around hay that contains mold. More severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. People with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease may develop mold infections in their lungs.
 
If the area of mold is more than 10 square feet, you may wish to consult the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guide entitled Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings.  Although this document and the recommendations therein are largely focused on commercial buildings and schools, the information can also be applied to other types of buildings. You can request a free copy by calling the EPA Indoor Air Quality Information Clearinghouse at (800) 438-4318, or by visiting the EPA web site at http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html.
 
Mold in your home is a serious issue. I would recommend addressing this as soon as possible.  By becoming educated you are better able to steer clear of the scare tactics surrounding mold and other mis-information that is so prevalent on the Internet. If you are in San Diego we can provide a certified mold inspector to perform mold testing for you.
 

Areas Served: We serve the areas listed above as well as many others. If you do not see your city, please contact us. We will be proud to serve your city.
Darin Redding
Written on Sunday, 20 February 2011 14:51 by Darin Redding

Viewed 6260 times so far.
Like this? Tweet it to your followers!

Latest articles from Darin Redding

 
 
 
blog comments powered by Disqus

Last Updated on Thursday, 31 May 2012 10:47
 

Housecall Property Inspections

Housecall Property Inspections
6826 Millbrook St.
San Diego, CA 92120
619-663-8740